Deering Conservation Commission
Minutes of the Meeting
November 3,2003 -
The meeting was called to order at 7:45 PM by Chm. Ed Cobbett.
Attendance: Ed Cobbett, Chm., Robert Garland , LeeSteffy Jenkins, Treas. , Michelle Johnson, Keith Johnson, Gary Bono, Bev Yeaple , Clerk and Alternate. Absent: Steve Ainsworth .
Also Attending: Larry Sunderland
First order of Business:
1.Received from L.Sunderland - copies of report of Milfoil Projects for the 2003 Town report.
2. Also received from L. Sunderland - addressed to E.Cobbett -a copy of a draft warrant article for the March 2004 Town Warrant accompanied by an explanation of the article . Discussion of the proposed article ended with some suggestions for additional information to be added to the warrant article.
3. Larry will also send in an application for a grant to the Lakes Association for monies for the Milfoil Protection Program by 11/20/03.
4. Chm. Cobbett handed out copies "Appendix E" - Buffer Widths from ³The Buffers of Wetlands
& Surface Waters² manual. File copy received .
Author / Functions protected / Range of Buffer Widths Recommended/ Average of Range
5.There will be a Public Hearing by The Fish and Game Department relative to Bass Fishing Tournaments . Bob Garland will attend and will give the Dept. a letter from the Deering Conservation Commission expressing our concerns .
The Minutes of October 6 , 2003 were approved unanimously .
Treasurers Report: None.
Communications : reviewed - were->
1. CEI ( Comprehensive Environmental Inc. )
2. NH Audubon -(September - October issue )
3. Notice: Cottrell - Baldwin Environmental Lecture Series at Fox State Forest.
4. Seaco- Seminar notice .
5. Minutes of the ZBA 10-22-03 Meeting were reviewed .
6. Copy of Min. Impact Expedited Application - Jonathan Dawson.
for replacement of dock - Deering Lake . Tax Map # 229- 24
Vote to approve- MJ/DJ - passed unanimously. Placed on File
7. PWA - Newsletter ( Sept./October 2003 )
Margaret Watkins named new Executive Director.
8.NHDES- .#2003-02298 . B.Yeaple property # 7/753. Re: Timber harvest having minimum
wetlands impact. Confirmation of Complete Forestry Notification .
10. NHDES- Casa Land and Timber. Deering Tax # 5/796. Wetlands & Non-Site Specific permit
Permit Description: Dredge and fill approx. 2,200 square feet of an intermittent stream
and install a 24x34 culvert to provide access to 3 lots of a 9 lot subdivision . ( 2 copies )
NOTE: This permit was not signed by the Deering Conservation Commission
11. NHDES - ³ The Source ³
FYI. NHDES¹s one stop site ;
Stormwater MgMt . Conference -- 11/6-7 At The Montshire Museum in Norwich, VT.
From NHDES _ Model Protection Ordinance is available from the EPA on
12.Bev will attend the NHDES River Management Conference in Concord on 11/7/03
1. C.Greene Salvage yard -
2. Conservation Easement Boundary Monitoring . Those who can, will meet at the Town Hall -
Nov. 15 th at 9 AM and will walk as many of the CE¹s as possible. . The time involved in
walkingall the easements on a yearly basis is becoming unwieldy for the volunteers.
It was suggested by the Chm. that the Commission look into the possibility of hiring
a professional monitor to perform the mandatory yearly monitoring of the easements .
Also discussed - ways in which the Commission and the Town could offer programs that
would provide opportunities for young people to earn credits for their Community Service .
It was voted unanimously to write an article for the Town Warrant
requesting that 100% of the Land Use Change tax received be turned into the
Conservation Fund. Presently - the Conservation Fund receives 50% of this Tax .
3. The DCC Budget for 2004 was determined and accepted unanimously.
1. The Public Hearing for the C.Kelly Junkyard will be held on Nov. 19th at 7PM at the
2. Keith Johnson , Planning Board Chm.
There was discussion relative to some subdivision applications presently
under review with the Planning Board -.
a. Keith reported that A Loading Study will be performed of Deering Lake .
The need for this study is based on environmental circumstances around the lake .
3. Also - Selectwoman M.Johnson reported the discovery of 300 rubber tires dumped
beside the road -on Pleaseant Pond Road,
Chm. Cobbett reported the discovery of ATV trails on the immediate
river side/banks of the Contoocook river
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 PM
RS - B. Yeaple